Monday, September 14, 2020

Blogging

Where I landed 14 years ago

Today marks 14 years since I moved back to my native Idaho, a decision I've never regretted. I chronicled my reconnaissance trip to find a place to live, then the drive out and finally the settling in as I unpacked and explored my new surroundings all on the blog, a record more robust than snapshots in a photo album with brief descriptions, or a written journal. A blog is really the best of both and easier to share.

Recently, one of my favorite bloggers, Austin Kleon, noted that he'd been doing this for fifteen years, which prompted me to double check my own blogging history. I was a little surprised to find that come November, I too will have been blogging for 15 years. I honestly wish I'd started sooner so that more of my Wisconsin experience and the quilts I designed there were recorded here, instead of having to dig out the photo albums. As I read through Austin's post, I agreed with all his reasons for blogging, all the advantages of it, and I particularly liked that he summed it up in three reasons to keep blogging which you can read here. They are my reasons too.

Then I spotted a new post by another blogger I follow, Terry Grant, who was also marking 15 years of blogging. I do remember a number of us from the Yahoo Alternative Quilts Group branching out to start our individual blogs at the about the same time. That group is long gone, a bit sadly, as more and more of us ventured into the blogosphere. And many of those initial blogs have gone quiet or totally disappeared. Yet people like Terry and me continue because, as she notes, memory is not always trustworthy, nor is one person's memory of an event the same as another's. She, like I, uses her blog as a "backup memory" for the important things and now lets the "little everyday things" show up on Facebook.

So happy anniversary to the 15 year club! May we continue to enjoy this platform and store our memories and accomplishments and ups and downs here. And thanks to the readers that check in and comment. You are a big part of my creative journey.

  

4 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

What a great post and of course the reasons behind keeping up your blog for 14 years. Congrats!!!! I was a tad late to the party and began the first day of 2008. Like you, it’s become a fiber diary of sorts for me….surprising me how often I dig into the archives to remind myself how I approached certain tasks. From my days traveling the quilting highway as an author/instructor/lecturer, I continue to focus on fiber NOT on the latest social significant issue or political statements. I prefer to keep those subjects separate from fiber and have unfollowed so many this year because I can not tolerate the rants. That’s what’s so great about this format….we can all follow our own personal choices.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy you're there writing your blog--I wouldn't have 'met' you otherwise! Stay well! Jan in WY

Sherrie Spangler said...

Wow, that's a long time to be blogging! I got started a little later, April Fool's Day 2010. Like you, I think it's better than a photo album or journal. I have a blog book printed every year in case I ever lose the digital posts.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Mary and Sherrie, I was wondering if you had been blogging nearly as long as I have. Seems like I've been following both of you forever! And although both of your blogs are quilt related, they have their own personal twist and style which keeps me coming back.

Sherrie, I think getting the blog printed into a book is the best idea. I've been trying to get that done starting from the beginning whenever there's a sale, but because I am so verbose and those early years have so many posts, it can get quite pricey! I've slowed down a lot these last few years so maybe I could afford it now - lol.

Jan, I really feel like your participation on my blog has helped me get to know you and I enjoy the long distance friendship we've developed. You may not blog yourself but I appreciate your personal emails so much.