Friday, September 04, 2020

It's Not Much . . .


. . . but after sitting on my work table for months, I finally put a cover on an extra signature left over from my Secret Belgium Binding book. Again I make the connection between quilting and bookbinding in that there will always be some scraps left over from a project, too good to toss, too few to quite know what to do with them. And then when you do decide what to do, there will be time spent auditioning what to add, part of you excited that you've found a use for something else that's been lying about, and part of you fussing over choosing just the right addition. 

That's probably why that signature had sat for so long. I was pretty sure about using one of the eco-printed papers but knew I had half a dozen to choose from. Each one having a best side and a less exciting side and how would each look when folded over the signature. And should I use this one or save it for a different project? I fret too much over these things but in the end, am usually pleased with the results and glad that I took the time.


The other thing holding me up a bit was knowing I'd have a decision to make about the thread for sewing the little book together, another thing that shouldn't be as big a deal as I make it. But beyond choosing a weight and color, other considerations included whether to end with tails tied off on the inside or outside, and if outside, what little flair could I add in the way of twisting or braiding or adding beads? Argh, I've never been good at decision making, which has always left me wondering why I took to quilting where it is ALL about making decisions. In the end, I decided just to tie off inside and use a heavier quilting thread that was variegated in the appropriate colors. To my disappointment, the thread was not as heavy as I remembered, and even doubled, it didn't show as I'd anticipated. Well, I decided not to worry about it, just stitch this up so I could get it in the mail to a friend. But yes, there were moments afterward of slight remorse that I'd not searched through other thread choices including perle cottons and embroidery floss. I DO have a wealth of resources to choose from!

The important thing though is that it is finally done and off my table and out of my head. On to other things cluttering up my studio and my mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you need to not over-think & just do it! If you dive in & let it fly it's kind of a freeing feeling! A week ago I read an article in USA Today about 'decision fatigue' that has been made worse living in COVID-19 times. We all seem to be suffering from some variation of it nowadays, so try not to fret! Stay well! Jan in WY

The Inside Stori said...

What an on target observation…..whether working with paper or fabric……so many decisions are the same and so necessary. What a treat to see such wonderful use of eco-dyeing.