Saturday, March 27, 2021

Batting


I'm arranging the rectangles in the last 3 strips of the Kaffe inspired strip quilt for baby Jesse Charm. For several reasons, I've generally used cotton or cotton/poly batting in quilts for babies but in the end am a little disappointed in how thin and flat they turn out, even after washing. So I perked up when I saw this Warm & Plush batting in a Connecting Threads catalog. Compared to the other Warm Company battings on the page, it looks to be twice as thick. Granted, I still have a fairly big stash of batting at my disposal so I didn't necessarily need to buy more just for this quilt, but my curiosity was piqued. I checked with my local quilt shop down the street who wasn't familiar with it but said they'd order it for me - perfect, as I really want to spend my money locally when I can and keep this shop going - the owner has done such a fantastic job of building it up and surviving even through the covid shutdown thanks to the loyal customer base. The batting arrived this week and I will soon be testing it out. Have any of my readers used this in a quilt?

6 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

I’ll be interested in hearing your thoughts on this batting after working with it.

Anonymous said...

I've never used that particular batting so it will be interesting to see it in the baby quilt. The photo sure makes it look comfy & cozy! That's a lucky baby! Stay well! Jan in WY

Sherrie Spangler said...

I never heard of it but it sounds a lot cozier for a baby quilt that the flat Warm 'n' Natural that I always use.

Jeannie said...

I'm looking forward to your review. Like you, I'm not crazy about the thin, flat look of traditional battings. I also miss the weight of a heavy, old fashioned cotton bat, but not crazy about going back to those messy things. Have fun stitching!

The Inside Stori said...

Your calming thoughtful posts always provide some introspection for myself…thank you!

The Idaho Beauty said...

You're most welcome Mary!