Saturday, March 13, 2021

Hand Quilting Progress


I've finished the hand quilting around the applique pieces of Rhapsody. I'll be winning no awards for even stitches but with a few exceptions, the eggshell thread blends right into the background fabric so only very close inspection would reveal the inconsistencies.


Now on to the cross-hatching, where I will use masking tape as my guide. I'm having second thoughts about adding this as I now realize how little open space there is for adding it except beyond the central design. Maybe just some echoing would have been a better choice, but I feel committed to this and have carried on.


I thought I would share with you the hoop I am using, my pride and joy: The Grace Hoop - Squared Polymer Pro. I don't exactly remember how I became familiar with The Grace Company, probably through an ad in a quilting magazine, but back in the 1980's I offered to hand quilt the queen size top my mother-in-law had made for one of her daughters. It was the part of the project she dreaded most while I was finding it difficult to get tops made for quilting, the part of the process I most liked. So suddenly I had a quilt to quilt and her hoop on a stand to do it with. It was a rickety affair with the classic round hoop but it was better than what I had on hand. I so enjoyed the process that when we fell into a large monetary gift to split, I opted to use mine for a full-size quilting frame, with the Grace Company's expensive, heavy duty well-made model with unique design features my first choice. And of course, I also opted for the one that could handle up to a king size quilt because, you know, I might regret it if I chose a smaller size. I was not disappointed, and quilted quite a few quilts of varying sizes on this sturdy frame that did not require you to baste your quilt before loading it onto the frame (did I not say it had some unique features?

The 3-rail system allows all 3 layers to be attached to the front bar, the other end of the backing to the second bar and the other end of the top to the 3rd bar while the batting hangs free. Each bar rolls independently to maintain even tension and smoothing, no basting required.
 

That frame got moved many times (being easy to break down into packable pieces), once while I was in the middle of quilting a queen-size quilt (it turned out to be relatively easy to roll the quilt on the three bars once the supporting legs were removed and a startled moving man figured out how to wrap it all in plastic and place it in the truck so that precious bundle would not be damaged), but once I finished that last queen, I was doing more machine quilting of any large projects and saving the hand quilting for smaller ones. I got very fond of my Q-Snap portable square frame. Then my husband died, I moved into a townhouse rental, and found myself with no place to set up the big frame even if I wanted to. I eventually sold it to my quilting friend and neighbor who was keen to have a full size frame and I started looking at other options that would solve the limitations I found myself struggling with using the Q-Snap frame.


Enter the Grace Company once again, as I eyed their latest product sporting more original design innovations incorporated into a quilting hoop on a stand. First of all, a square rather than round hoop, which makes tons of sense, as I'd discovered using the Q-Snap frame. Then it was the material the hoop was made out of, a sturdy polymer with no chance of staining a quilt left in it too long. The stand itself is Baltic Birch plywood, nothing rickety about those hefty parts.

 

But what really cinched it for me, made me think of this as the Cadillac of quilting frames, is this ball mechanism at the base of the hoop. Not only can you turn the hoop as you would a steering wheel, but you can angle it in all directions to get it positioned perfectly for your stitching style. (By the way, those strings of selvage are a tip I ran across for when quilting a large quilt. They allow you to gather up all that quilt beyond the hoop to keep it in check and off the floor.)

The arm that the hoop is attached to also adjusts up and down to accommodate different chair heights you might be sitting in or even your own body height. So easy to customize the quilting area to your needs.


Also included with the hoop are these weighted bars, just in case you need to quilt out to an edge and don't have enough quilt for the hoop to grab onto. I've never used these as I always leave a generous bit of batting and backing beyond the quilt top, but what a nifty idea just in case.


And as if all this weren't enough, the stand is designed to fold up smaller for storage. I even read about one quilter who used this feature so she could bring her hoop to guild when she wanted to work on something there. This is a really well-thought out design. Basically, I just can't say enough good things about the Grace Company and their product.

So I popped into their website thinking I could link to some of these products and features only to find they are now all about machine frames and the machines that sit on them, not a wood product in sight. Well, I suppose that IS the market now, not that many hand quilters out there looking for quality wood frames and hoops. They do sell a few hand quilting items, but not the beautiful wood ones that served/serve me so well. It all made me a bit sad. On the other hand, I'm sure everything they produce and sell now is of very good quality in order to maintain the name they built up starting over 30 years ago.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rhapsody is looking lovely! I use blue painter's tape for machine quilting cross hatching on small projects. Your Grace Company information is really interesting. I'm sure they've had great success because of their high quality products. Thanks for sharing their story! Stay well! Jan in WY

Anonymous said...

One of my brothers made a beautiful wooden frame from walnut for my mother; someone admired it and so she sold it to that person and my brother made her another one. It is beautiful and I have it in keeping for his daughter should she ever want it back. I have tied a couple of quilts on it and basted a few but hand quilting is just not something I do well---I guess practice would solve that. One of my friends bought a Grace frame for her machine---we shopped at Houston Quilt fest for it--wiggled and pushed on all of the brands there--and Grace was indeed the best---sturdy--and so pretty.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Lovely story about the handmade frame. I think this may be kind of how the Grace company started. You just never know from one generation to the next what will be prized and used so it is good you are saving this for the daughter. Some take to hand quilting, others don't. I just happen to be one that finds it relaxing (usually!) once I get the rhythm going while my best friend found it tedious and unrewarding. Practice does help as you suspect but sometimes it's also the batting or the needles or other small things holding one back. So nice to hear your assessment of Grace's current line - I'd expect nothing less from them and glad to hear they delivered!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Jan, painter's tape is indeed a good choice. I just happened to have several rolls of the half-inch wide masking tape (I think I stole it from my husband) and I can't believe how long it has lasted me. I also have the purple painter's tape which is for delicate surfaces, inch wide, thinking that would be a good thing but it barely holds in place and can't be lifted and reused like masking tape. I'll buy the regular painter's tape next time.

The Inside Stori said...

Gosh, I love the idea of this new version of Grace Co. quilting frame. When I taught hand quilting I always suggested students start by using a retangular Q-snap hand held frame. Holding it so the length runs top to bottom, is so much easier to grasp then a large square one. Additionally, when a round frame is used…..the bias tends to stretch, but not so when attached to a square or rectangular one. I haven’t hand quilted in ages….hope I haven’t lost my touch! But the time investment for the work I sell is not practical.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I thought you might appreciate this, Mary. And you are so right about investment of time. If one is selling one's work, machine quilting is almost a necessity unless it is a very small piece. Even the addition of beading by hand must be thought through, its importance and time invested considered carefully. No, I definitely reserve hand quilting for special pieces I plan to keep or give away, and then, they had better not be too big anymore!