Monday, July 03, 2023

And Suddenly It's July

How did that happen? Felt like a wake up call the morning there were no more days in June, and I had to flip the calendar to reveal the month of July. Ack Ack Ack!!! I'm making progress though on the mixed media journal that I painted the spine paper with watercolor paint for. Knowing I'd be making another one of these books was the deciding factor in purchasing one of these Scor-Pal tools.They are primarily used by card makers of which there are many in the Handmade Book Club. One of them mentioned that she'd used hers to do the scoring for her accordion spine and we all sat up and took notice, realizing how much easier that process would become using one of these. And other ways we might use it too.

Score lines from the back

Well, I can confirm it was quick and accurate with its grooves every eighth of an inch for the scoring tool to glide down.

My spine was soon ready for the signatures I'd made and put under weights ahead of time.

Spine from the back showing pamphlet stitch

Easier said than done, sewing the signatures to this spine. This is an awkward binding to work, what with each signature being sewn separately into the valley of a spine fold, although the 5 hole pamphlet stitch itself is simple.

The first few aren't too bad. But the more you sew, the more the spine starts flopping around.

And by the end, it is getting difficult to maneuver the signature clipped to the spine into the cradle to punch the sewing holes.

But it is done and back under weights in preparation for the next step, which if I remember correctly, is a messy one.

I've also cut the covers from book board, a job I hate as it takes so many swipes of whatever cutting tool (craft knife, box cutter, etc.) to finally get all the way through the hard 2mm board. I've tried all the suggestions for making it easier, and I still find myself needing to draw my blade several dozen times to make it through, all while holding down the metal ruler without it slipping out of line. But it's done now too and ready for me to add decorative paper to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're making great progress! And you've found yet another use for Clover Clips! I love those handy little things! Hope you had a nice 4th...we're singing 'Rain, rain go away' here! Jan in WY