Monday, July 31, 2023

Capturing Flowers

I had planned to finished up a second butterfly binding book this afternoon, but the deck garden and warm weather were calling to me instead. The garden has turned from sorry to delightful and I have been spending many mornings doing a little reading in its presence. I still wonder at my desire to sketch florals but there's no denying I do enjoy it, from the close observation that sometimes reveals surprises to the matching of colors to the methodical movement of pen or pencil as each petal, stem and leaf is reproduced as closely as my skill allows. So one afternoon it was the pink Dianthus I tackled with colored pencil, this afternoon it was the rich maroon one along with the single osteospermum bloom that has finally arrived (upper right in above pic), outlining each in micron pen before adding colored pencil. As for the row of faces at the top of the spread, I did those a few weeks ago, an old Draw Tip Tuesday exercise where you draw a bunch of thumb shapes on the page, then add features, hair, whatever, to turn them into people. Some winners, some definitely a bit odd.

The Dianthus indeed had a surprise for me upon closer inspection: white stamen curling up from the center. Adding white is tricky; the white colored pencil didn't show at all while a white gel pen fared no better. I don't think I confessed to you that, after all my negativity and misgivings about Posca pens, I ended up buying some. There were coupons and vouchers involved to bring the price down, and because I couldn't make up my mind about what colors to get, I ended up splurging on this set of . . . yes you are seeing it right in the photo . . . sixteen colors. Sheesh. But I was glad I had them, including a white one that worked like a charm drawing in those stamens. It's making me eager to experiment with them more. And, in case you didn't know, they work on fabric too.


Not that I was compelled to draw them, but I did notice that the lavender geranium has new blooms and I still can't get over that color for a geranium. Perhaps I should sketch it.

I've been doing a lot of close cloud observation too lately. I've watched many tutorials on how to paint clouds and it's a tricky proposition. And any time I've tried adding them to a quilt either as applique or quilting stitches, I've only frustrated myself. But I observe anyway with thoughts of how the various ones I see are "constructed" and could be painted. Every now and then I see a formation like I've not seen before and think that if I could in fact reproduce it, no one would believe it really existed. I tried to capture one such cloud with my very poor cell camera, but if you look closely, the cloud on the right looks a bit like someone dragged a comb through it, lines running from upper right to lower left. The cloud to the left looked more like someone had taken a brush to it.

5 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

Of course you should keep sketching....your talent is really showing!!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your time in the garden. Too soon this lovely weather will be gone & you can resume book binding. Your floral sketches are so pretty & the Posca pens have some great colors! Jan in WY

The Idaho Beauty said...

Well thanks you two! This morning I read a bit on the back deck, then just sat enjoying the sound of birds in the trees (they flit so fast to hide in the leaves that I have no idea what they are) and the colors of my blooms, indeed reminding myself that there's no hurry to go in when this weather does have a limited time span. There haven't been much in the way of bees, but there's a hummingbird and a white butterfly that have been stopping by to gather nectar, and both showed up today. Just lovely!

Sherrie Spangler said...

I bought white Posca pens a few years ago after much research and was very happy with their opacity over even dark colors on fabric. Your flower drawings are beautiful.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks Sherrie, and thanks for your sharing of experience with the white Poscas. To be honest, I've yet to run into anyone who does not love these paint pens, and the white one I tried here performed leaps and bounds better than that cheaper off brand I tried. Had not stopped to think about how they would perform on dark fabric, but since so little WILL show up on it, it's good to know.