Friday, June 04, 2010

Fork in the road...

My creative journey has stalled as of late (as if you hadn't noticed), and I've found myself retreating to a slightly more secure world of knitting and crocheting. Prayer shawls have been my mindless focus, mindless only in the designing, problem solving aspect, not in the purpose that goes into them. Knitting & crocheting were two of the first handcrafts I learned (self-taught of course), and I get the same peace from the rhythm of the stitching as I do from hand quilting. And I know plenty of quilters that avidly knit, so I know I am in good company.

I've long since quit watching quilting shows on PBS and HGTV - not that they aren't good, but just that they hold few new ideas or techniques or inspiration for me at this stage of my development. However, I have noticed some knitting and crocheting programs airing on Saturday morning, and because of my self-taught background, I find myself fascinated by them. The fascination ranges from, oh good, I've been doing that right, to, wow- that is really amazing. I have the urge to do something more interesting than the basic stitches suggested for the shawls, but am not committed to trying something really complicated. And yet...

When I stopped at the library to pick up the Lee Child book I'd requested, I wandered not to the quilting or surface design section as I normally would, but to the knitting section. Each of these books had at least one pattern that intrigued me and demanded more contemplation. There are so many beautiful yarns out there, a few skeins of which I already have. I guess I need something quite different to stimulate me, like the time I took the basket weaving class. Perhaps this is the jump start my journey needs.

No comments: