Sunday, October 02, 2011

In Need of a Plan


Indeed I am as I consider the exhibits coming up and the new work they will require. Could not get myself out of vacation mode all September and would prefer to whine a bit more about how I want to do nothing. But a friend refuses to listen to my "oh my God I have so much work to do in the next 6 months" routine while making excuses for not darkening the studio door. "Start a list!" he intones. "Figure out how many new pieces you need and start doodling your designs," he insists. "Make a plan and get to work!" he nags. Gee, why does he have to be so practical? It's MUCH easier to sit around complaining...

So thank you dear friend for scaring me into action. For making me estimate how many pieces I'll need, dividing the number by how many months until they are due and announcing I need to complete two pieces a month. Yikes! Can I actually work on a schedule like that? Well I can try. But first, I needed to make that list, formulate a plan, actually look up the due dates on the exhibits, jot down potential quilt ideas, get everything out of my head and down on paper (see progress above). For the most part, it's all happening next April and there's some comfort in that. However, my usual MO would be to put off until January to panic and start work in earnest, just wing it until then. Fortunately, I now have a nagger who will keep prodding me to make progress NOW. How practical. How reasonable. And why didn't I just figure that out myself? Oh yeah, because THAT'S what friends are for. Thanks!

1 comment:

MulticoloredPieces said...

ooh, very impressive and inspiring! great organization. Really liked your Celtic Lone Star and padfolios. Thank for the tour of the "All things great and small" Exhibition.
best, nadia