Friday, January 29, 2010

Last of the hand quilting...


...I think. This is the center of my big lone star quilt with a bit of Celtic interlaced bias tube design. There's a lot of reproduction fabric in that star, along with some batiks. All the bias tubing on this project was made from my own hand-dyed fabric. It's amazing how these very different fabrics work so well together.

When I basted the top, I wasn't sure how I was going to deal with this area in the center, since the star itself would be machine quilted. Thus the safety pins in an area that I now know is to be hand quilted, and so should be thread basted. I left them in anyway (not the first time I've hand quilted around safety pins, and yes, the thread does catch on them frequently), and in a couple of hours, the quilting was done.

Theoretically, that is the last of the hand quilting on this, unless I cave and decide certain areas really need a little more added. I'll decide after the rest of the machine quilting is completed. I plan a serpentine line of quilting through the diamonds in the star, and have yet to work out the border design but have several ideas. Needless to say, I am excited as the light at the end of the tunnel glows brighter.

2 comments:

JennaLouiseCreates said...

So beautiful! Wow...I am always impressed with your beautiful talents as an artist every time I stop by. Thanks for your kind comment on my thread painting. I have so much to learn, but a tree was a good place to pick up and start again. I'm glad you like the bird...he sets everything together. Blessings, Jenna Louise

Deborah said...

It's alway a good feeling to be nearing completion! I really like these colors.