Friday, December 10, 2010

A Peek at Miniatures at Large


I'm home from the opening reception of POAC's Miniatures at Large Exhibit - lots of fun and good food as usual, plus a sale for me! My Moon over Pend Oreille went to a friend who decided he just had to have it for his boat. I've been on that boat so have an idea of where it will hang - very cool and thanks! Above you can see the stair step way my three pieces are hung, following the angle of the staircase.


Here you can see the large piece that hangs next to it (Trinity by Stephen Scroggins) and get an idea of how well the juxtaposition of really small and really large art works. Everyone agreed it was much more dynamic than if it were all one size or the other. As for the way Trinity is hung, I got a chance to ask Steve if it was his idea since I knew he likes his large canvases unframed and unstretched. No, he said, but it IS 18 ft long and the gals got all excited about the idea, so he said sure. It reads differently, he feels, than if it were flat, but I think it is such an eye catcher this way - so unexpected as is his use of yarns on the surface.


These encaustic miniatures by Daris Judd are hung to the left of Trinity. As you can see by the red dots on the labels, they too have sold.


On down from there is another large work, Mudslingers by Tamara Taylor, done in acrylic. Just about life-size, these bears, a specialty of hers.




On the opposite wall is Flamenco by Maloarit, also acrylic.


Another large acrylic along that wall is Peacock Fantasy by Diana Schuppel.


A great acrylic abstract, Peonies by Mary Aldarete.


And I think this is the last of the really big pieces of art, and certainly the most pricey of the group at $22,000: Restoration, an oil painting by Stephen Schultz.

That's all for tonight. Tomorrow I'll post the rest of the small art..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow it all looks fabulous, and I agree that your small pieces look wonderful next to the large piece. Congratulations on selling....I'm not suprised!

Cate Rose said...

Great art, Sheila, thanks for sharing. I really love that 18' long painting -- as well as the juxtaposition with the tiny pieces.