Thursday, February 21, 2019

Curiosity Continues

What do you suppose I am up to here?


Well, I was thumbing through the Bags With Paper and Stitch book (the one with the silk fusion instructions and gorgeous eye candy by the way) when I came to a page showing tags and medallions one can make using hot glue and rubber stamps. I probably haven't had my hot glue gun out in decades, but still have plenty of hot glue sticks for it, and I have plenty of stamps to choose from. I couldn't resist trying this out. What you see on the stamps in the top photo is talcum powder, which keeps the glue from sticking to them. The hot glue is applied to parchment paper - I traced around my stamps so I had an idea of the amount and shape of glue to put down - and the stamp pressed into it while still hot. The stamp on the bottom has been flipped over so you can see the hot glue covering it.


Once the glue has cooled, it peels right off.


And I was quite surprised with the clear images left in it.


Boring on their own though, so the final step is to paint them front and back. I'm guessing that helps preserve the glue as well. I tried Liquetex acrylic paint and Versatex paint (which is slightly metallic). I found I had to work at getting the paint down into the relief; otherwise the paint just hits the high points. I'm thinking I could go back over the Celtic knot ones with a darker color just to hit those high points to bring the design out more.

This book is definitely short on details so this felt like it encouraged me to follow my "wing it" resolution attitude for the year. And what will I use these for? I have no idea but I'm sure I'll think of something, or probably more like it, a use for them will conveniently present itself. I've already gotten one suggestion to attach one to my silk fusion!

_____________________________________________

Addendum

Just found this great short video explaining why it is important to keep a sketchbook or as Austin Kleon calls it, an art journal. I think it explains better than I have why collecting your thoughts, all thoughts, on paper is a good thing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtweA9JHYqe/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_medium=loading

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who knew? That's a fun project & I'm sure the right use will present itself, as you said! I shared your silk fusion entry with friend who is all about experimenting with fiber. I'm guessing one day we'll have a program at TAGY about how-to! Jan in WY

Michele Matucheski said...

Those came out really nice! Makes me want to try it ... but then, what do you do with them now?

The Idaho Beauty said...

Jan, so glad you shared with your friend. Be sure she checks out the link to the silk website. It will tell her pretty much all she needs to know!

Charlton Stitcher said...

What an interesting thought that is - and how brave of you to try it with what look like stamps in really good condition. It could all have gone so horribly wrong!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Michele, I know! I was so surprised by the quality (but when you hold one in your hand, you KNOW you are dealing with something a bit rubbery destroying the whole illusion). The suggestion was that they could be tags, but I have yet to figure out what to use tags for short of tying them onto a gift wrapped with ribbon. And I don't wrap presents often anymore. One of my art group members laughingly suggested I could market them as hot glue jewelry - string some together for a necklace or make a broach! Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised to find someone is actually doing that. . .

The Idaho Beauty said...

Margaret, believe me, I WAS concerned about the possibility of ruining a perfectly good rubber stamp. But I've used these particular ones very little and decided I just had to trust the book's author on this one. So many surprises out of one little experiment. :-)