Wednesday, February 20, 2019

More Silk Fusion

I was quite a bit happier with my second go-round on the silk fusion. I still struggled with separating out/fluffing the pieces of silk roving to get better, more even coverage. And that did result in another somewhat thick product in the end. I think there is another method for making something thinner and more paper-like. I used up most of the dyed roving in the top layer, trying to arrange it more "artistically" across the surface. I was pretty pleased with this.

I used netting (tulle) instead of the fiberglass screening and found a tip I saw in a video came in handy. The tulle is so lightweight that when you put the second piece on top and start working with the brush and water, it helps to use clothespins or clips along the corners to hold the two pieces in place.

I used the gloss varnish instead of textile medium, diluted approximately 2/3rds varnish to 1/3rd water which was the suggested starting point. More or less water effects how stiff it will be in the end. The textile medium had to be heat set. The varnish does not need to be, although it doesn't hurt to iron it. Good thing as I hung this piece up by a single clip in the center after it had mostly dried while flat on the table, and was astounded to find that as it continued drying, the sides curved round to form what looked like a cylinder with the top half missing! The instructions DID say that with the varnish, one could sculpt the fusion while damp and it would hold its shape. I just didn't think it would take off on its own. However, heat and pressure from an iron followed by time weighted under books flattened it out.

And look! The netting left no impression on the surface. Hard to capture in photos, but the gloss varnish also leaves a sheen that compliments the silk's natural sheen.


But my goodness, this bit of fusion is stiff as a board! Perfect for a book cover though, which was my intention for it. I still plan to use the first piece to test out stitching, stamping and other embellishing, and then decide if I want to add anything to this one.

3 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

Great results….looks like you are having fun conquering this technique!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Actually, yes I am! Thanks . . .

Michele Matucheski said...

So now you're making 3-d art! Gosh--I want to try this! I think I did a long time ago in a class with Sue Bleweiss. I might even stll have some of the supplies. I was going to ask about the texture of the tulle after it got the texile medium or varshish. Glad to know the medium filled in the in-betweens.