Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Calvary Episcopal Church

Calvary Episcopal Church 
The first night in Rochester, walking around the downtown and the Mayo Clinic Campus, I was surprised to spot a church across from the Gonda Building. Just didn't expect to see one in the middle of all these high rises and businesses. Upon closer inspection, I discovered, to my delight, that it was an Episcopal Church, a place that would  become an emotional haven for me.

Tiffany Stained Glass Window
Calvary Episcopal church was founded in 1860 making it the oldest church in Rochester and one of the oldest in churches in Minnesota. The original building (visible in the top picture) has been added on to and renovated over the years.  My first Sunday here I sat near this stained glass window, warm and reassuring. They have a marvelous pipe organ and an organist who can play it, plus a pretty good choir. The church's juxtaposition to the clinic draws many visitors like me who are in Rochester because of the clinic. In recognition of that, the church has declared itself a Spiritual Oasis and geared its mission accordingly. Read more about the grounds, buildings and renovations over the years here

Lilies of the Field

Chalice with Grapes & Ivy

Two of many beautiful stained glass windows in the sanctuary. These happen to be from the Tiffany Studios from 1905 and 1907. Click on either for a larger view.

In addition to regular services, Calvary Episcopal also sponsors a summer music series in its courtyard and other concerts showcasing its organ and talented members. I'm really enjoying taking advantage of this spiritual oasis in what otherwise could quickly become an emotional hell hole!

1 comment:

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Sheila. I was in Rochester a number of years ago as I have family there working at the Mayo. I remember well the artwork and architecture, especially the Chihuly pieces. Your posts about the area have been very interesting.
best, nadia