Wednesday, October 03, 2018

Inktober Has Begun

I won't be posting daily my #Inktober drawings but I did want to let you know I have been working on them each day now that October is here. I've decided to go with Zentangles, at least for now, and can get 6 on a page in the big sketchbook I've used for the last two years participating in Inktober. So 6 squares all marked and dated, the first a kind of reacquainting myself with the practice and warming up with a couple of familiar and favorite tangles. As a general rule, Zentangles tend to be filled with tangles, very little white space, and I definitely could have added a few more things to this one, but I rather liked this effect and stopped before things got out of hand.

Yesterday I decided to try a new tangle called Well. No practicing beforehand which I somewhat regretted. But once I added lines and shadings plus the additional tangles acting like a border, I decided it wasn't all that bad.

Today, I decided to stick with Well and try some variations, a totally different look that gets away from the petals design. The one in the bottom left extends out the original 4-square grid to 2 by 8 and eliminates the mirroring lines that form the petals. The one in the upper right uses a 9 square grid on an angle and all the lines from corner to center spin the same direction. Then it was a matter of deciding what other tangles to add to fill up the space.

One of the advantages of working on an individual tile is that after you have filled it, you can turn it to see if it looks better in a different orientation than the one you used while working on it. In this case, I like this quarter turn to the right better. But it is trapped in the sketchbook in the direction in which it was worked. Maybe I'll draw arrows and make a note.

 

1 comment:

The Inside Stori said...

So very impressive…….keep up the great work!