Thursday, October 25, 2018

More #Inktober Zentangle Borders

You know it when you've found that thing that makes you smile, makes you eager to dive in. That is what has happened with these Zentangles where I've started with a border or frame. While the swoopy, less regimented, almost free form Zentangles do appeal on a certain level, my comfort zone and aesthetic is so obviously tied to a more contained and symmetrical style. I've been encouraged throughout my creative journey to loosen up, throw out the rules, etc etc, and I give that a go from time to time. But it's an uncomfortable experience usually that does not produce results I am thoroughly happy with. Usually but not always. It doesn't hurt to get outside your comfort zone now and then!

But for these three from the 22nd, 23rd and 24th, I could hardly wait for the time slot I've set aside to work on my daily drawing, could hardly wait to try the next border and find something to put within it. I suppose this is the way it goes if you truly have a daily practice of anything. There will be days when you'd rather skip it, feel uninspired, even feel that you are only repeating yourself, and then days when your ideas and enthusiasm are overflowing.

And in these three you also see the way I gravitate toward adding circles, given half a chance. Is it any wonder I often gravitate to adding them in my machine quilting backgrounds as well?

3 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

I love seeing how this has captivated you.......and esp. how you are able to be to intraspective about how and why your work takes you!

Anonymous said...

You like what you like. And, that's so important to make the experience enjoyable. If you're smiling & wanting to get busy then go with what works for you. Jan in WY

The Idaho Beauty said...

A very belated response to you two to very appreciated comments. I feel it has taken me a long journey to get to this point of not only being able to analyze why some things are more enjoyable for me than others (sometimes I really need to know), but also to be ok with settling in with what IS working and bringing pleasure when the overbearing advice from magazines and teachers is to break out of your comfort zone and loosen up. It's good to be able to try those things but equally important to know when they are your next new pleasurable thing or something you end of fighting and uncomfortable with. Not smart to continue with the latter just because everyone else is telling you you have to do this or that. Not sure how clearly I am putting this but I'm guessing you know exactly what I mean. Peer pressure - perhaps a positive nudge but only guilt ridden if somthing's not really working for you.