Friday, October 12, 2018

#Inktober Zentangles With Foliage

After my free practice #Inktober drawings, I flipped the page and went back to filling in squares, starting with one of the new tangles, Icanthis. I like that one a lot and added a background tangle behind it that I hoped would read as bark. It all looks busy to me and I very much want to color it in, although most Zentangles are left in their inked state. We'll see if I can hold out.

Onward to a different idea that had been floating in my head. At one time I experimented with putting a circle in the middle of the tile, almost like a porthole where I could tangle in a little scene. Lately I've been thinking about turning that circle into an elongated diamond shape. The predominant tangle around that opening is one that is somewhat like a petal shape, so again, I am adding flora to my scene.

To finish up days 10, 11 and 12, I played with a leaf tangle, trying it out as an undulating border. The lower right corner is a spiral shape that is filled with spiraling leaves, an idea I got from an on-line variation. It all looked to lack contrast when I shaded everything in, the leaf border lacking definition, so I added an echo line around the outside. That too seemed to do nothing much so I filled it with "perfs", and in frustration, darkened the space around the perfs. Not so very happy with it, but the idea of working with the Zentangles was to draw and analyze because tangles, just like fabrics, have varying values and can be drawn in a variety of sizes. The goal for me is to keep working at this to get better at striking a balance and putting together tangles that compliment each other while also providing contrast. It's that design thing we all strive to get better at.

-----------------------------------

I was looking at these on my Facebook posting, noting how no one (including me) was drawn to the last one when it occurred to me I had not checked to see if rotating would improve things. So here are two rotations that I think do indeed make the October 12th one better. I really like the first one. What do you think?



2 comments:

Michele Matucheski said...

You could copy that last tile 4 times, and put them together like a kaliedescope.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Now THERE's a thought!