Friday, October 02, 2009

Green Tomato Relish


It started with someone else's bounty - a big tote of green tomatoes being given away. I controlled myself and only took enough for a half batch of green tomato relish (plus a few extras to ripen on the window sill). Luckily, the green and red peppers were on sale and I already had the onion.


A good day for canning, this. Cold and raining, and no immediate quilting deadlines to make me feel guilty.


Oops! I don't think this is how I'm supposed to add a little color to the relish. It made things challenging.


And the results - far more relish than I really need, but with it on hand, I will think harder about menus that will help use it up. I was thrilled to find these 12-ounce jelly jars - didn't know they made this size. Pints are really a bit too big as slowly as I will be dipping into an open jar (and there were none in the stores), half-pints a little small. These will work well for jelly too.

No comments: