Sunday, May 16, 2010

There's a quilt in there...

These pictures are for Annabel who says I am so neat and tidy (and I am). I finished cutting up my strip sets into 3-1/2 inch half square triangle units yesterday. Then it was time to count to be sure I had enough. I couldn't resist stacking them in these staggered piles of twenty-five. The majority of these squares were cut in the last few days - 300 in all.

And already laid out in the bottom of the shoebox are the additional 60 I think I need for this quilt, plus extras - these were cut way back when I first conceived of this project and did my test strip sets.

Of course, there were pieces at the end of the sets too small for the size square I need, but big enough to cut smaller 1/2 square triangle units from, and then strips to trim into know, to go in the shoeboxes of pre-cut squares for some future scrap project. It's an old habit I got into years ago as a way to organize leftovers too small to return to the stash but too big to toss. Oh, and there were also triangle cut-offs that I paired and sewed and trimmed to size, some 3-1/2 inches, and of course, some in my smaller designated sizes: 2-1/2, 2, 1-3/4 and 1-1/2 inches. Yes, a little obsessive, but it's that "waste not, want not" thing of mine. I finished all the trimming today.

So after all the cutting and sewing and cutting again, from 20 fat quarters of fabric I got a total of 383 3-1/2" half square triangle units, the handful of smaller size units and squares, and this pile of scraps. I managed to glean a few more squares from the left hand pile, but basically these are all pieces narrower than 1-1/2 inches, and bound for the trash. And all the squares are bound for their respective shoeboxes, even the full-size ones. I need to work on a couple of other things before I start arranging them on the design wall.


The WestCountryBuddha said...

Wow. I'm just...well.....speechless!

Deborah said...

An impressive variety!