Wednesday, July 29, 2009

ArtWalk II Exhibit Up


Done & dusted, as they say - my art quilts are hung at Panhandle State Bank and they look terrific. My area does not have a special hanging system and they would not allow any nail holes, so a variety of these nifty 3m Command adhesive hooks did the trick.

This is the water feature that is the centerpiece of the building's 3 story atrium. On the right is a community room for banquets and meetings and a small cafe called Tango. They will be catering our reception. On the left is the entry from the parking lot, and I'm tucked in the back corner. A great spot.

I consider my Azalea 2 Garden Path the centerpiece of this collection so placed it such that anyone walking in the door would immediately see it as they looked to their left. This is also the way to the elevator.

That post between the wall and water feature is a bit of an annoyance - but someone passing by can still see there's something on that back wall.

This back wall is about 11 ft long and holds these four pieces nicely. The light from the sconce really accentuates the quilting on the blue piece, Flow. It looked so good hanging there that it took me a bit to remember all its shortcomings that I felt it had when I finished it over a year ago. I guess quilts really do age in the closet - it looks just fine to me now. Maybe it helped that a passerby stopped to admire it, a man who exuded about how it looked like lily pads in water, no - like a Japanese garden. I loved what he saw in it and had to share that in fact, it was my interpretation of telephone rotary dials drifting off into space! Another man commented that Jungle looked almost iridescent, like it was an oil slick. And that was with no use of iridescent threads! This is one of the things I love about exhibiting - discovering what others see in your work. There's definitely no wrong answers here.

Here's where the display turns the corner onto the longer 20 ft wall. I'm pleased with the gradual color shifts from piece to piece so that the more purple ones don't clash distractingly with the more vibrant oranges of the Azalea Mosaics. Nearly everyone who stopped to look today commented on the wonderful bright colors, so I guess that was a good direction to go. The fact that there were offshoots to the main piece was not immediately obvious which I was glad for. As Picasso said, "...to copy oneself is pathetic." People were not thinking, Oh, there's another one.

Here's the rest of that wall as it nears the entry from the parking lot, 13 pieces in all, the majority completed in the last 14 months. I'm pleased with myself

This shot is taken from the back wall looking across the atrium to the other levels where art will be displayed.

The 2nd level is photography -- part of their permanent collection I believe. My apologies that I don't have the artist's name. Above are Acrylics by Brett Rennison.

These oils by Suzanne Jewell are tucked into this corner on the second level.

These painting are waiting to be hung. Some walls on the upper level have a special hanging system that prevents having to use hangers nailed into the wall.

If you click on the picture, you may be able to see the wires dropping down from the metal track at the top of the wall. I think the watercolors above belong to Barbara Janusz..

And more watercolors to be hung, this time on the 3rd level. I just love these sailboats by Karen Robinson. See more (with much truer colors) here.

As a reminder, the opening reception is this Friday, July 31 from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. at Panhandle State Bank in Sandpoint, Idaho. The exhibit runs through September 13, 2009.

2 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Can you believe it was so hot here today that two of my command adhesive hooks fell off the wall? Your show looks really great!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Now that is WAY TOO HOT! I've been following the temps for Portland and Seattle and am both amazed and so glad I'm not there. The fact that we are around 90 is bad enough. I think I need a dip in the lake...

Thanks for the thumbs up. At least my exhibit space is air-conditioned.