Monday, July 27, 2009

Ready to go...

The framed quilts are wired, labeled, wrapped and ready for transport...


The free-hanging quilts are steamed, de-linted and tagged per instructions (I use a Quiltac gun to attached business cards to sleeves)...


And my artist statement has gone through a major overhaul. Edited to perfection? No, never that, but it speaks more to this set of art quilts than last year's statement would:

ARTIST STATEMENT
Some artists start with a blank canvas. I prefer starting with something there, with cloth dyed and patterned commercially or by my own hand. Sometimes I see images in it, teasing them out with stitch for others to see. Sometimes a random juxtaposition of fabrics, a matching of colors to those outside my door or a bold print triggers an idea. I especially enjoy the unplanned creations that emerge from the leftovers of the planned ones. Then where some artists might stop, I continue, with highlights and texture rendered with quilting stitches, beading and decorative threads. Underlying each step is the excitement of discovery as ideas emerge from my materials and surroundings, finding expression within the basic framework of the quilt.

The influence of what I see daily in nature runs deep. It creeps in subtlety through the colors I use, more boldly in images of trees, leaves, lakes and mountains, and sometimes only as expression of line, shape, contrast and texture. Yet, I cannot escape my traditional quilting roots. The geometric patterns and rich dark colors in the antique quilts I love are also reflected in my textile art.


In 2006, I returned to my native northern Idaho after a lengthy stint in the Midwest - I so missed the rugged mountains and sparkling waters. With this backdrop a constant inspiration, I see no end to my exploration of organic designs and the simple geometric forms that bring me such pleasure.


* * * * *
And with that, I am ready for ArtWalk II. My coordinator pushed the hanging date from Tuesday to Wednesday. So with no other prep to do but load the car, I am sensing freedom at last and tomorrow to be a day when I can do anything I want without guilt!

As a reminder, the opening reception is this Friday, July 31 from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. at Panhandle State Bank in Sandpoint, Idaho. The exhibit runs through September 13, 2009.

1 comment:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your artist statement sounds good, not too long but with enough information for interested people. Good luck on the show.