Friday, July 31, 2009

A little work, a little play

I finished my row for the row robin challenge today. As I've noted before, there's something comforting and secure in working traditionally, if for no other reason than a session at it usually results in quantifiable results. The sense of really accomplishing something (as opposed to staring and pondering and auditioning and rearranging) gave me such a lift.

Since I can't show it to you, I instead am sharing a graphic produced by Wordie which produces "word clouds" based on supplied text (in this case, a post from my blog on how I see). Words used more frequently get greater prominence. It's great fun as it allows you to do a little tweaking afterwords of background color, font & orientation.

It's about time for the ArtWalk II reception so I'd better get ready. I wisely dealt with the inevitable wardrobe crisis yesterday,
which was like my own version of What Not To Wear's 360 degree mirror room. I just need to change into the outfit I decided on at the end of many surprising rejections.

One thought before I go. I am always surprised by how differently I perceive my work when I see it hanging outside the work room. I know that I've been purposely working small for quite awhile - citing logistics and physical limitations as part of the reason. Everything in this exhibit is under 30 inches, most under 17. Lined up on the long walls, they look much smaller that they do here at home. Not that it is a bad thing, just making an observation. All are very suitable for the average home. However, I found myself thinking that I want to break out, now that I see how small they really are, and work more expansively. I think part of that feeling comes from a confidence I did not have until recently. The designs rattling around in my head are definitely expanding, requesting that I please not confine them to 12 x 12 or 14 x 14 inches. We'll see how well I listen.

No comments: