Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A visit from Eau Claire

My good friend Mary made the trek from Eau Claire to see me in Rochester today. It's been awhile since we've seen each other, and it was a no brainer that we'd check out the quilt shops together. Thank you, I think, Mary - look at the batiks I bought! I really have had no interest in checking out the quilt shops here, but before we were done, I could feel the interest in fabric and quilting returning. Just in time, as I'll be heading home soon to reacquaint myself with my studio.


Mary brought a little something for my journey home. She suggested I fondle that fabric while I drink wine at each motel stop along the way - good idea!  The basket was made by a friend of hers and is filled with new crop apples, crackers, and cheese from Ireland (she and I both claim to have some Irish blood running through our veins).


Mary got her nursing training here in Rochester at St. Marys Hospital and she took me through the chapel there. This is so huge I would NOT call it a chapel.




Its best feature I think is the beautiful marble cut and placed with mirror images along both walls of the chapel. The stained glass windows by contrast are quite modest but still lovely.


We also went to lunch at HuHot Mongolian Grill, a restaurant I'd spotted at the Apache Mall and had hoped to try before leaving. I was not disappointed. Thanks, Mary, for a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Sherrie Spangler said...

What a nice gift! I can't believe you're finally heading home. You must be absolutely giddy.