Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Trip Home - Wyoming into Montana

Interstate 90 cuts through a corner of Wyoming that is rugged high plains. If you look hard, you can see a slightly darker blue above the mountains on the left side of the picture. That's actually the Big Horn Mountain range, nearly obscured by smokey haze.


I'd noticed these on the way out - now I knew they were kin to what I saw in the Badlands.


I made a rest stop in Sheridan - it has a visitor's center up on a hill overlooking the freeway with picnic tables, a playground and a place to let out your horses. That's Wyoming for you. Yes, it really was that hazy.




While I was eating my lunch, I started seeing rabbits hopping all over the grounds. Yes, that's Wyoming for you too.


The rest area made ample use of the red rock I was seeing all through this area.


Back on the road headed towards Montana, things still looked plenty parched. That's why I was so surprised to spot this intense blue lake nestled among the pale yellow grass - a color palette I want to try.



All along the way there had been subtle reminders that it was indeed late September. Hard for me to get my head around. These became more pronounced as I got into Montana.


As I neared Billings, I backtracked a bit up Interstate 94 in order to visit Pompey's Pillar which will get its own blog post. I have to admit it was mighty unsettling to start seeing mileage signs for points east, but I only had to head that way about 30 miles, then it would be back to my westward trek.

1 comment:

Sherrie Spangler said...

This is such beautiful country -- I must see it someday. It sounds like you really enjoyed your time on the road.