Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Additions


I haven't exactly been "fiscally responsible" lately. First it was these beautiful hand spun yarns from Connie Rose. (Yes, the ribbons indicate that they are award winning yarns!) There are a variety of fibers, all luscious and in the earth tones I'm drawn to. They are truly a splurge since I have no idea what I'll do with them. But that seems to be the way I've been buying yarn lately, single skeins of special yarns that have a special feel or a special look. They eventually find a home.


Then it was a stop at Bear Paw Quilting in Coeur d'Alene on my way home from having the car serviced. I've heard a lot about this shop, and it has gotten quite the press lately. While other quilt shops are going under or closing for other reasons at an alarming rate, this shop outgrew its original location in a small strip mall and built it's own bigger store next to a Fred Meyer. I've been here 4 years and had never checked it out, knowing darn well if it was as great as everyone said, I'd not get out unscathed. I couldn't pass up these two batiks, nor the chance to stock up on my favorite King Tut thread that I can no longer buy closer to home.


This beautiful seam ripper is another recent addition to my sewing room, but without taxing my pocketbook. It's a belated birthday gift from my brother who knows the guy who hand-makes them. It takes some of the sting out of "unsewing" errant stitching and adds a splash of color to the basket of scissors and such where it resides when not in use. Thanks!

4 comments:

Cate Rose said...

Great stuff Sheila. Thanks for featuring my yarns! The batiks are really wonderful -- I love their darkness -- and so is the seam ripper. Hope you enjoy using them all!

Sherrie Spangler said...

That's a beautiful seam ripper!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's one heck of a seam ripper...suitable for tents, marquees, hot air balloons, covers for Boeing 747's, elephant's knickers, the equator (bet you didn't know that was a seam!), whale duvets??

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh, Annabel, you are making me laugh so hard!!! Can you tell it was designed and made by a man? You know, they always think bigger is better, if a little bit is good, a lot is great? It does sit rather nicely in the hand, though. Gotta find me some elephant knickers to try it out on... lol