Monday, November 15, 2010

Are "Happy Accidents" Art?

Somewhere along the line, I got the notion that I shouldn't take credit for an artistic result that was merely the product of chance and my ability to recognize a good thing when I saw it. I'm uncomfortable if I have not come up with the idea or technique myself. Then again, I've come to the conclusion that not everyone can recognize a happy accident for anything but an unwelcomed and frustrating deviation from an intent. Accidents are often how we learn, and a discerning eye critical for an artist.

I recently ran across another take on this issue, an exuberant one at that from the blog of Edward Winkleman - it's worth a read, especially if you have trouble letting go in the studio: What are you really doing in your studio (pt 1)

Part 2 is here - do not go into it lightly. It is lengthy and full of meat to chew on...

No comments: