Monday, September 15, 2008

It's a classic...


...and it's mine!

I'm back from my trip, the dog's home from the kennel and I'm ignoring the next batch of ripening plums for now. The trip was a bit of a belated birthday treat to myself, and the quilt is a belated birthday present from the friend I visited in Hood River. Judi, who is also my journal partner when we journal quilt, knows I have a small collection of antique quilts, spotted this at a yard sale and figured I would like it. It's the double wedding ring pattern so popular during the 1930's & 40's, although this is is probably made later. It is hand pieced and hand quilted and appears to have polyester batting (thus the later date). It is in near mint condition and I love that it has a pink background rather than muslin or mint green as is often the case with this pattern. I haven't had time to cross-reference the fabric in the rings with my fabric dating books, but it is a wonderful variety of prints possibly spanning 30 years or more. Plus it fills a gap in my collection perfectly.


I'm sure I was the envy of all in my train coach accommodations on my return trip home. For some reason, Amtrak seems to think the cars should be refrigerated and I was uncomfortably cold on the way down. Not so coming back as I snuggled under my "new" quilt and nodded off.

No comments: